The death toll from the flooding climbed to 100, with 32 people still missing, the government said in its latest update on Monday afternoon. Another 451,000 had been forced out of their homes with 115,000 in evacuation centres.
Soldiers, police, medics and a huge number of volunteers were involved in the effort to help flood victims, authorities said.
Saturday’s disaster saw tropical storm Ketsana pound the heaviest rain in more than 40 years on Manila and neighbouring areas of Luzon island.
The nine-hour deluge left some areas of Metro Manila, a sprawling city of 12 million people, under six metres (20 feet) of water, with poor drainage systems and other failed infrastructure exacerbating the problem.
Eighty percent of the city was submerged and, with parts of Manila remaining underwater on Monday, local television reported that some people remained stranded on the second floors of their homes.
Vast areas where flooding had subsided also remained covered in knee-deep sludge.
Adding to the chaos, telephone and power services in some parts of the city remained cut, while local government officials said survivors in makeshift evacuation camps were desperately short of food, water and clothes.
Your donations are needed more than ever. Help make a difference by
donating using the widgets below. Any amount would be greatly
appreciated and will go a long way in helping the ongoing relief